- Research news articles on line
- Examine the statistics found in the 107 plus inquiries, commissions and reports that have been undertaken over the past 50 plus years on a national and regional scale.
- Research the stories of survivors of violence or the families of those women and children lost to violence in your community and across the country.
- Hear the testimony and experience of survivors of violence or the families of those women and children lost to violence in your community.
- Explore the root causes of violence against women and children historically and currently.
To understand the use of the term two spirit we first need to understand gender.
Gender identity and sex assigned at birth are two different things and it is important to know that gender is how you feel about yourself and your identity.
Sex assigned at birth is simply the sex assignment given at birth. Watch this quick video for an intro about gender identities.
Watch this video for an intro about gender identities by using the QR Code
Let's find out what being two spirited means from Geo Neptune, a two spirit person using the QR code.
Can non-Indigenous people identify as two spirit?
Two spirit is an Indigenous term rooted in Indigenous traditions and culture.
It embodies more than a gender identity but also a spiritual significance and can only be used by Indigenous people.
Many cultures around the world had multiple genders. Through colonization many cultures were forced to accept two genders: male and female.
We invite you to do to a research project to explore some of the other cultures around the world that have multiple or different gender identities.
Use the interactive map and select a point that you would like to research, and then provide your findings on the research page attached.
Once completed, e-mail us the research as a PDF for a chance to win a prize pack!