- Examine the roles of women and children in your family and community that has molded your ideals and perspectives.
- Highlight positive, respectful, honouring views about women and children and build on your strengths in this area.
- Deconstruct the negative, inaccurate and disrespectful views about women and children that you have developed to determine where they come from.
- Create an action plan for yourself to alter your thinking to bring yourself to a better path.
- Create an action plan for yourself to effect change in your own family, class and community.
To understand the use of the term two spirit we first need to understand gender.
Gender identity and sex assigned at birth are two different things and it is important to know that gender is how you feel about yourself and your identity.
Sex assigned at birth is simply the sex assignment given at birth. Watch this quick video for an intro about gender identities.
Watch this video for an intro about gender identities by using the QR Code
Let's find out what being two spirited means from Geo Neptune, a two spirit person using the QR code.
Can non-Indigenous people identify as two spirit?
Two spirit is an Indigenous term rooted in Indigenous traditions and culture.
It embodies more than a gender identity but also a spiritual significance and can only be used by Indigenous people.
Many cultures around the world had multiple genders. Through colonization many cultures were forced to accept two genders: male and female.
We invite you to do to a research project to explore some of the other cultures around the world that have multiple or different gender identities.
Use the interactive map and select a point that you would like to research, and then provide your findings on the research page attached.
Once completed, e-mail us the research as a PDF for a chance to win a prize pack!